Sunday, February 13, 2011

"Poetry of Witness"

Image Source: http://vietnamw.wikispaces.com/

Reading poetry and understanding it has become a little difficult but after reading them over more than once I think finally some are making a little bit of more sense and I can understand the message they are sending across through poetry.  Although it was difficult for me to choose I was able to relate to “Immigrants in our Land”.   As I was reading the poem memories of what my parents and grandmothers would talk to us about them coming from Mexico seeking the American dream came to my mind.  Both my grandmother and father worked in the Calexico fields in California.  They were paid less than the minimum wage because they were undocumented.  They often stressed how hard it was for them working twelve hour days, six days a week just so they can provide for their families.  When Baca states, “We are born with dreams in our hearts, looking for better days ahead”(Baca 1). That is exactly what I recall from my grandmother when she would tell us stories of her past.
While I was reading, “Songs of Napalm” I began to envision what Bruce Weigl was describing. It was hard to imagine what he has lived through while being at war.  I have never been in a situation like his and neither would I ever want to be.  I could only imagine that the things he has seen and the war experiences must be very hard for him to forget.  When Weigl mentions, “Still I close my eyes and see the girl, running from her village, napalm” (Weigl 3).  I begin to imagine what he’s feeling and come to understand on how awful it was for him to witness so much death.  After reading the poem and how he expresses himself about what he has witness one could only imagine what kind of life he must live.
A website to consider about "Songs of Napalm" http://www.thebeckoning.com/poetry/weigl/weigl.html

No comments:

Post a Comment