Friday, April 8, 2011

The Handmaid's Tale Topic Proposal

image source: http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/dvd/The-Handmaid-s-Tale/1090190.htm

My guiding question for my research essay is why were the women treated in the manner in which they were?  Why were they robbed from their freedom and subject to be child bearers and treated as chattel?  I think what confuses me the most about the text is to find out when did this begin and why did the government do this to its people.  As I do further research on mind control I will obtain knowledge on what methods were used.  I have an idea of some of the techniques used to brainwash people especially women.  But I would like have additional knowledge on the reasons why the government began to do this to their people.  Offred explains that she remembers being able to work, read and dress in whatever she wanted.  My curiosity is to find out when did that stop and why?  The topic that I plan to research is going to be about the methods of totalitarian thought control and how this was used on the people of  The Handmaid's Tale.

I chose this because I feel that freedom is something that we all take for granted or we just feel that it's a given.  However, in many countries this is not the case and in this day and age the thought just baffles me.  This is what happens in the Republic of Gilead where the people's freedom is abruptly taken away from them without any regards or consideration.  I don't think this is correct and this is the reason why my interest was geared towards totalitarian control and the methods used on the people.  As I do further research on the methods of brain control I will understand why the people of the Republic of Gilead were controlled in that manner.

Informational site:  http://www.luminarium.org/contemporary/atwood/handmaid.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment